Player Growth Strategist
The Game Band is dedicated to making games that reflect the diverse world we live in, which means fostering an environment and community that reflects our world too. We hold ourselves to a high standard when it comes to ensuring our company is an inclusive, respectful, and welcoming place to work.
You are a data driven decision maker who will embrace rational thinking and decision making. You are comfortable conceptualizing, designing and implementing experiments that contribute to sustained growth. You are empathetic to the user, in your approach to design and product marketing. You thrive in a cross functional environment. You enjoy working with a diverse group of individuals who bring their unique experiences with design, story telling and engineering.
As Player Growth Strategist you will:
- Be the reporting owner for activating, growing and retaining users
- Conceptualize cross functional experiments by partnering with design, product and engineering
- Define, craft and report on measurements that track short-term and long-term product KPIs
- Create and deploy a reporting framework that helps decision making around game design and experience
- Setup and own the MarTech stack in partnership with Operations and Engineering
- Advocate for growth opportunities using a combination of quantitive and qualitative reasoning
We’re looking for someone with:
- 3-5 years of relevant experience
- A passion for games and game industry experience
- Fluency in crafting and defining growth experiments and product briefs
- Fluency in analytical platforms such as Google Analytics, Amplitude, Mixpanel or similar
- An intersecting experience around growth and data science (probabilistic reasoning, back-of-the-envelope estimation, data wrangling, visualization, reporting)
- Excellent judgement and critical thinking/reasoning
- Experience with no-code tools/platforms
How to Apply
To apply, email us your resume at email@example.com and feel free to include any details about yourself that you'd like to share. We are accepting applications ongoing as of right now but check back frequently for deadlines and updates. As we grow we will be posting new positions, and we will try to respond to as many applicants as we can.
Who we are
The Game Band is a fully remote studio, currently making the popular internet sensation / cultural event Blaseball. Previously, TGB launched Where Cards Fall, winner of the Apple Design Award in 2020.
With Blaseball seeing viral success, TGB is excited to grow the team! We are hiring a number of key roles, looking for folks who will take ownership building systems and teams that will ensure a bright future for Blaseball.
If you aren’t familiar with Blaseball that’s ok; Blaseball is an absurdist, player-driven, browser-based fantasy “baseball” experience. It’s a simplistic simulation of a sport, where players can view, bet on, and contort the league’s rules via weekly elections. People Make Games has a great explainer if you want to learn more.
- Continue to grow Blaseball’s player base in a sustainable way
- Continue to explore themes of democracy, community, and collaboration
- Expand Blaseball beyond a browser-based experience
- Iterate on ethical and interesting ways to generate revenue while keeping the game accessible and available to everyone
What is it like to work on Blaseball?
Blaseball is Live in a way that maybe no other product is. We ship a whole new season, taking into account fan feedback and mobilization, and implementing new features and systems to drive the meta-story forward in real time.
For the first era of Blaseball, this cadence was extreme, so in the future we are designing a more sustainable cadence for the fans and ourselves.
We want to be very clear with applicants that they will not be expected to work 7 days a week. Just because Blaseball is online, doesn’t mean we have to be.
For technical / coding positions: it’s possible that at key times you will need to work Friday, Saturday, Sunday, Monday, due to the natural cadence of Blaseball. We occasionally have to set up the dominos over the weekend, so the next season (week) can play out. In these cases you will be allowed to, and indeed forced to, take a “weekend” during the middle of the week.
What benefits do you offer?
- 100% employer paid health, dental, and vision insurance
- 401k plan
- Flexible hours
- Remote friendly
- Unlimited PTO
Thank you for considering The Game Band! Blaseball has an incredibly diverse and welcoming community, and we’re building a strong, diverse team to support it. We highly encourage you to apply. Even if you're not sure that you qualify, please contact us, we'd love to hear from you.
The Game Band