Does this sound like you? You have that optimism that you can have a career that changes the world. You want to work with people, make a difference in their lives, and get the breadth of experience you can build a meaningful career on.
If so, you’ll find what you’re looking for here.
MakerKids (https://makerkids.com) is an award-winning learning platform that is building core technical, programming, and social-emotional skills for kids. Parents use MakerKids to augment their child's core curriculum with small group project-based learning programs that have won the endorsement of psychologists, Intel, and other child education advocates. We run classes on coding, robotics and Minecraft. Our classes help kids develop confidence, social skills, resilience and a positive relationship with technology. We ignite kids’ potential and inspire them to be inventors, entrepreneurs, and innovators. Kids have started businesses, won prizes from NASA, and reported positive mental health outcomes. We are a pioneer in the education industry, having started the first and largest makerspace for kids in the world. Today, we provide amazing interest-driven virtual and in-person STEM programs to help kids move from being consumers to creators. We’ve been featured in major media such as Wired, Popular Science and Forbes, and have spoken at TEDx, SXSW, Maker Faire, MakerCon, and more. We are a social impact company and our mission is to help people reach their potential and make a positive impact on the world. We are leading classes that improve kids’ lives significantly, enabling them to see their own power and realize that they can make a difference. Come change the world with us, one kid at a time.
We're growing quickly, and we're looking for leaders to grow with us and ultimately drive our mission forward. Right now, we're looking for a Growth Marketing Manager.
Why Join Us
In addition to making a positive impact on the world, you can participate in our:
- Staff discount on MakerKids programs
- Fun social events with the team like karaoke, escape rooms, improv classes, and other activities
- Referral Program
- Flexible schedules available
- Paid Vacation
- Compensation commensurate with experience, and bonuses based on targets
- Generous learning budget
- Opportunities for growth and advancement
You’ll love this role if you:
- Want to have a positive impact on kids
- Want to share your love for technology and making
- Dig a relaxed, casual, and fun work group (warning: musical theatre nerds and Dungeons & Dragons players among us)
- Did we mention having fun while working? We like doing stuff together online or in-person – virtual coffees, improv classes, escape rooms, and other staff socials
- And we also take our work seriously, create space for each other’s opinions and perspectives, and pursuing success together
We just raised funds, we are partnered with a university on a research project in progress, and you will get to shape the future of the company and grow your own team.
The Growth Marketing Manager will run and/or oversee the day-to-day marketing functions of our MakerKids experience. You’ll accomplish this by running and/or managing our paid ads (or working with an ad specialist on ensuring our paid ads are achieving proper ROI), SEO, website, CRO, email marketing, social media marketing, affiliate marketing, design, promotional calendar and blogs.
Once you’ve learned how our marketing runs, you’ll turn your attention to optimizing our marketing and growing revenue. You will define and champion the overarching marketing strategy, so we’ll be very open to any improvements you can make to achieve your vision.
- Establish and implement growth strategies to support MakerKids’ revenue goals. Set and implement strategies to grow qualified, profitable external traffic to our products and services, maximize sales and revenue, and meet other business objectives through various marketing strategies.
- Take ownership of running and/or overseeing our marketing team functions: reporting, paid ads, SEO/SEM, Content Marketing, Multiple call-to-action landing pages, Social media engagement, email marketing, affiliate marketing, and more.
- Own the budget, measure and report performance of all digital marketing campaigns, and assess against goals (ROI and KPIs)
- Lead campaign design and build to test ad copy, landing page, bidding, and audience targeting to find opportunities to drive incremental growth.
- Recommend the suite of tools, technologies, automation and processes necessary for scaling our marketing efforts. Identify and test new customer acquisition opportunities to improve performance and/or reduce expenses, with a drive to rapid growth in new customer acquisition.
- Focus on MakerKids’ brand and differentiating message, our market and buyer personas, competitive analysis and industry analysis
- Take a proactive, problem-solving approach to improve our current marketing procedures and delivery to maximize our revenue
- Lead the onboarding, training, and supervision of new marketing staff, contractors and agencies as needed as we grow.
- Steward the website and design we use every day
- Manage the marketing materials to meet high quality standards
- Create brand awareness and other marketing activities to increase our growth
This is a varied position that will include an operations component as well, and if you have experience as a Marketing Manager, that variety will feel familiar. You’ll have our full support to make changes that will make a lasting difference on our business.
You’re the right fit for this role because you have a customer-centric mindset, and are always looking for ways to improve marketing, or tackle high-leverage challenges to make things work better.
This is a full-time, permanent position. All MakerKids staff are currently working remotely and will continue doing so until it is safe to return to office or have the option of remaining remote. This position can return to office, or can remain remote indefinitely.
Our bright, colourful, playful makerspace office is located at 2451 Bloor Street West in Toronto, steps from Jane TTC station, which is a good home base for meetings. We are currently working remotely. This position could be remote indefinitely, or in-person or a hybrid as mutually agreed upon.
If you have these, you’ll be a great fit:
- Experience growing revenue in a marketing position
- Experience with managing or overseeing marketing areas such as website/SEO, copywriting, affiliate marketing, promotional calendars, growing followers, making/overseeing design, writing email newsletters that convert, and managing/overseeing paid ads (with knowledge of Google Analytics, Google Adwords, and Facebook Ads Manager)
- Strong leadership experience, grit, and self-starter capabilities
- An ability to pass a criminal background check with vulnerable sector screening
Anything on this list would be an asset:
- Experience with Wordpress and/or Webflow
- Startup experience (preferably in a company that grew substantially within the time worked)
- Good understanding of SEO
- Good analytical skills (Google Analytics, Segmetrics, Heap, Looker, Tableau, Google Adwords, Facebook Ads, and/or Hubspot)
- Design experience
- UI/UX experience
- Bachelor’s degree in any related field
If this opportunity sounds like the meaningful, career-building challenge you’ve been looking for, we can’t wait to meet you!
We strive to build a team that reflects the diversity of the community we work in and encourage applications from traditionally underrepresented groups such as women, visible minorities, Indigenous peoples, people identifying as LGBTQ2SI, veterans, and people with disabilities. If we can make this easier through accommodation in the recruitment process, please contact us.